Saturday, July 26, 2008

Song of the Week, no Month

OK, I used to do a song of the week, but that was when I had a reminder set up on my work calendar. Because now I just don't remember. But I just heard this on rotation on my itunes, and feel compelled to blog about it now.

I have already posted about Alanis Morrissette's new album, Flavors of Entanglement, but here I want to discuss one song.

Alanis always gets me with the depth of emotion revealed in her songs. Plus, this song is just her voice and a piano, which also gets to me. I love simple.

The general gist of this song is that once a relationship is over, you have to start completely over, by yourself. It is heartbreakingly honest, and I find it painful just to listen to. Here are the lyrics of the chorus:

Day one, day one
Start over again
Step one, step one
I'm barely making sense
For now I'm faking it
'Til I'm psuedo-making it
From scratch, begin again
But this time I as "I"
And not as "we"


I snagged this video off of youtube so you can check it out yourself:

Not as We, Alanis Morrissette

No comments: