Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Song of the Week

Last summer, my friend Emily made me a CD made up of her favorite Ben Folds songs. Remember about 9 or 10 years ago when that Ben Folds Five song Brick was really popular? Yeah, that was the extent of my experience with Ben Folds.

Now, I will be the first to say that, while he is original, he doesn't have the greatest singing voice. But he really knows how to write some great songs, and is amazing on the piano.

My favorite song on the CD she gave me was Still Fighting It. This song was clearly written for his son (thus the opening line, "Good morning son"). It discusses the difficulties of growing up and it is sad and sweet at the same time. Check it out:


Ben Folds, Still Fighting It
(Note: the link shows Ben Folds Five but it is just Ben Folds)

On a similar note (no pun intended - oh I crack myself up...), here is the song Boys from the show Glory Days (beginning this month on Broadway!). It is also about how hard it is to grow up. How you grow apart. How we are not boys anymore. Granted, I never was a boy (no matter what several people thought when I was in kindergarten - it isn't my fault my mom gave me a boy haircut), but I get the idea. In addition, these guys bring a good deal of emotion to this song.


Check it out at this link: Boys, Glory Days

No comments: