Thursday, March 06, 2008

Once



I had read the premise of Once but it didn't really catch my eye. However, all the praise it had received caused me to add it to my online movie queue. I added it prior to the Oscar win for Best Song, but didn't watch it until this last week. My husband and I sat down to watch it, not knowing at all what to expect.

I just loved it. I love musicals, so it should come as no surprise that I enjoyed the musical aspect. The songwriting and singing was excellent, and just a style I would enjoy. Not hokey like a lot of movie "musicals," if you even classify it as one. I have already downloaded the soundtrack and it is my current favorite.

But it wasn't just the music that I enjoyed. The two stars, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, while not the most amazing actors ever, were captivating and endearing. It should be noted that neither of the leads are actors, but are professional musicians. The indie spirit of the film was fun. I love when films like this (shot in a few weeks, for about $150,000) are a success.

If you haven't watched this yet, give it a try! If you are curious, check out the trailer here or another video here.

1 comment:

Adele White said...

I also loved this movie- it's the essence of what a musical is supposed to be- people feeling so intensely that they just sing. It never felt corny or put on. thanks for reminding me i totally need to download the soundtrack.