Sunday, March 09, 2008

Dexter - Season 1


Last fall, after hearing repeated praise for Showtime's series Dexter, a friend and I decided to check it out. All we knew about it was the basic premise, that he is a serial killer that only kills bad people. My friend was pregnant and I was living alone at the time, so I am not sure why we decided to take on such a morbid and potentially scary show, but I couldn't be more glad that we did.

In February, CBS has been re-airing Season 1 and I have sold my husband on it. We are now a few episodes in. I am enjoying it just as much this time around. It has been several months so I can't recall what bits are being edited out for time and content, but it is enjoyable the second time around nonetheless.

The best part of the series is Michael C. Hall's (David from Six Feet Under) portrayal of the lovable killer. His voice-overs are so witty and help the viewer get a little better understanding of what goes through his psycho mind. You find yourself rooting for him! The cast is well-rounded, although I find some of the characters less enjoyable than others. Of course, I don't think that is due to the acting, but to how the characters are written.

I won't go into detail on the plot. Since I have completed the first season already, I worry I will give away plot details by mistake. However, this is one of the few times where I will say, "Watch the show before you read the book." It is done that well and is that fun to watch. It is highly amusing considering the subject matter, and the show writers have had to write in so much more plot to fill a whole season (the first season = the first book by Jeff Lindsay).

This show is not meant for everyone. My parents would not enjoy this at all. But I can appreciate the unique premise, the excellent writing, and the terrific acting. Give this one a shot.

It should be noted that I do NOT have Showtime and have not yet seen Season Two. I plan to rent it when it comes out on DVD. Please don't spoil it for me!

No comments: