Tuesday, September 02, 2008

TV: 90210

Just a few quick comments on the pilot of the new 90210. Yes, I watched it. I had to see what all the hype was about. And really, I just wanted to see some of the old faves from yesteryear (Brenda & Kelley), along with Rob Estes, whom I secretly love.

The story was cheesy as expected, and full of major drama. I think every possible plot line was addressed in the first hour (drugs, sex, back-stabbing, cheating, fighting, illegitemate children). The acting was so-so...

What school would be allowed to put on Spring Awakening? I don't think so. My high school did Grease and there was a HUGE outcry from the community. Granted, that was Texas, not Beverly Hills, but still... I have been singing Mama Who Bore Me since, though.

While I don't intend to continue watching, I have to say it wasn't quite as bad as I had expected. I think watching The Secret Life of the American Teenager recently really lowered the bar on this type of show. And now I can say with 100% certainty, it was a LOT better than that.

3 comments:

Stella Louise said...

I thought it was pretty bad. The worst offense was casting a bunch of twentysomethings that couldn't come close to pretending to be sixteen. At least the original cast looked somewhat youthful in season one.

That Naomi chick is at least a decade older than "Sweet Sixteen"...

Linz McC said...

I actually stated aloud to my husband (whom I forced to watch with me) that she looked SO old. I looked her up. She is 21. She and Blake Lively have the same problem of looking way too old...

Stella Louise said...

She looks older than 21 (I wouldn't doubt that Hollywood actresses start lying about their ages EARLY), but it certainly didn't help to dress her in a Chanel jacket.

What sixteen year-old is wearing Chanel?