Saturday, September 06, 2008

Book: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I started and completed a book in one day. In one sitting actually. It seems I am into the Young Adult genre, as that is where I picked up Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan. I had seen the trailer for the film adaptation and, once I realized it was based on a book, I wanted to give it a (quick) read.

The general story is that two strangers (Nick & Norah) in a NYC punk rock club pretend to be dating so they can each avoid unknowingly the same girl (said girl previously dumped Nick and broke his heart, and is a frenemy of Norah from school). In classic Before Sunrise spirit, a journey together around the city ensues, with many bumps in the road.

Having just come off of reading the entire Twilight series, my guess is that, vampires aside, this is just so much more realistic. The feelings teenagers feel, the hormones, the constant use of F-words. I really enjoyed this read and I got a nice feeling from reading it.

The book surprised me slightly as I had already seen the trailer for the movie before picking up the book. Kat Dennings seems a good casting choice for Norah (I liked her in Charlie Bartlett), but Michael Cera didn't really seem rough enough around the edges to play Nick. He is a bassist in a self-described "queercore" band. Also, I adore Michael Cera, but it is so hard imagining him in a role that requires him to be sexy at all. Even the sex scene in Superbad was him acting awkward and rather George Michael Bluth, if you ask me. However, I am hoping this movie shows us he is not too one-note.

Also, the movie has elaborated quite a bit on the story, and has taken the characters a little more mainstream (and not quite so punk). I don't think I mind and look forward to seeing how the movie actually compares (as opposed to judging based solely on the trailer, which is below).

No comments: