Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Namesake


I added this movie to my online rental queue after seeing a trailer for it on another DVD I rented. It is based on the book by Jhumpa Lahiri (which I have not read) and I thought it looked like a good story. The trailer made it look like the story was the about an Indian couple's son that was born shortly after they moved to the US in the 70s. Instead, I felt the story was more about the father, and his effect on his wife and children. The actor who played the father (Irfan Khan) was really good and was one of the highlights.

The film was directed by Mira Nair, who also directed Monsoon Wedding and Vanity Fair). I didn't even know who she was until recently (thanks Vance!), and now Monsoon Wedding is on my movie queue, too. From two movies I have seen that she directed, I can say that her films are visually beautiful. Any movie shot at least partially in India has the ability to beautiful. There is so much natural beauty, as well as the colors and the culture that make it so appealing to the eye.

Kal Penn (of Harold and Kumar fame) is also in this film. He plays the son and I thought the did a really good job. I had to get past thinking of him as the guy from 24 since I have never actually seen Harold and Kumar. For the most part, I found his character Gogol to be unlikable, but that is kind of the point, at least for the most part.

I recommend this movie if you are interested in learning about the Indian culture, seeing an interesting and well-acted story, and like to cry a little (I did a few times!).

3 comments:

Vance said...

Mira is in da house! They are about to have a meeting right beside my desk (so I'd better close up the surfing a bit for now...)

Sadly, we don't get the advantage of filming in India to make everything look beautiful, hence why it's been a bit harder work than we had hoped for.

Linz McC said...

You mean Canada isn't as pretty as India? Haha. Well, isn't it your job to make it to look pretty? Or just to make it look real? ;-)

Vance said...

It's our job. It would be easier if it already were. ha!