Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Movie: Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull


Man, that is a long title.

My sister Julie and I decided to go see Indiana Jones when she was in town visiting last week. She is a big Shia LeBeouf fan, and we figured it would be a fun one to see. She got to leave her son with Mimi and Papa and have a night out with me! We got snacks and a drink at the concession stand. We even got to go to Sonic afterward. I just love going to the movies but I don't go much anymore. Okay, enough about that.

I haven't been anxiously awaiting this one like I have, say, The Dark Knight, but I have to say I was curious how it would be. I was relieved to see the character played to his age, with a few gaffs that may not have happened had Indiana still been in his 30s. Harrison Ford plays Indiana Jones and Han Solo with similar attitudes, that make his snarkiness and bull-headedness very likable. You almost forget this guy played Jack Ryan so many times. And the president. And the guy in Regarding Henry (such a tearjerker).

Shia as Mutt was really fun. I got several elbows to the ribs from my sister, and there was a good deal of giggling between the two of us. Is it that she is 32 and I am 29 that makes it so funny? Not sure, but Shia plays his characters in a very likable way, and seeing him in interviews makes him more appealing. He is a goofy and down to earthy guy. Definitely gives him likability points.

Enough of all that. Let's discuss the movie. It wasn't the greatest movie I have ever seen. The story was pretty far out there, even for Indiana Jones (not that I mind, but I am sure many viewers would). The special effects, in my opinion, were awful, but I wondered if they were trying to keep in line with the previous films of the 1980s, and to go over the top with CGI might make it seem to different. If that is the case, I can forgive the movie for that.

Was it entertaining? Yes. Am I glad I watched it? Yes. Is it THE movie of the summer? Not really. I still want to see Iron Man, and don't get me started on Batman.

No comments: