Friday, April 22, 2011

Movie: Holy Rollers

Now that Jessie Eisenberg is a household name, one of his older films is getting released in theaters, even though I'd seen it on my Netflix Instant Watch for ages. It's a 2010 film, so by ages, I mean several months. Anyway, I decided to give it a shot. Here's my thoughts?


Holy Rollers is about an Orthodox Jew named Sam who gets caught up in an international drug ring. In the beginning, he unknowingly takes on a job as drug mule, thinking it was innocent. He is trying to make an extra buck to be "worthy" of the girl he wants to marry. Once he find out the trips to other countries aren't as legal as he thought, he sticks around for the money. Needless to say, he gets caught up in the world of drugs and partying and pulls away from his family and religion.


You'll also spot Justin Bartha as the guy that gets Sam involved in the illegal trade. Justin is most recognizable as the groom in The Hangover and from the National Treasure movies. Ari Graynor is also great as Rachel. I only know Ari from Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (the role where she vomits in a toilet in the bus station and opts to pick her gum out of the nasty toilet and puts it back in her mouth).

The film is based on a true story, which I didn't realize till the end, when they do that "what happened next" text across your screen. I enjoyed it but it was sad watching Sam get sucked further and further in.

No comments: