Just about every blog and website I read has posted about The Dark Knight at least once in the past week. So, of course, I need to add my two cents as well.
1) Christian Bale. I have an undying, unfailing, unconditional love for him. While that is all that NEEDS to be said, I could go on and on. I love him as Batman, more as Bruce Wayne, because then he is not wearing the mask or doing the cheesy whisper voice. If Bruce were more creative, perhaps he could have just organize a singing-and-dancing-strike against the city's crime bosses, or danced his way to better neighborhoods, or just slaughtered them with a chainsaw.
2) Heath Ledger's performance was amazing, and lives up to the hype. It is also quite funny, while being creepy at the same time.
3) Maggie Gyllenhaal was an improvement over Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes. While not quite as pretty, in my opinion, she is just a better actress, and I am not creeped out with her in real life.
The bad (SPOILERS AHEAD):
1) This film was a fast-paced, high-energy film. I could tell what parts were shot specificially for IMAX. But, those scenes made me feel a bit sick without the EXTRA giant screen, and I was literally THIS close to having a panic attack from watching it. I left there needing some sort of anxiety medication.
2) The movie was too long. I didn't mind that it was 2 1/2 hours. But this movie lost its fluidity somewhere along the way. It could have ended about 30 minutes earlier than it did, and left room for a sequel storyline to be established. Instead, as soon as we wound down, we picked back up and tied up a loose end.
3) Shockingly, this movie would go several scenes without Batman aka Bruce aka Christian Bale showing up on screen. Here I was thinking I was seeing a movie about Batman. Part of that complaint is just selfish, though, because I wanted more screentime with my 15 year long crush. It is summed up best by this card from someecards.com:
But I still liked it. I love Christopher Nolan's take on the franchise and adore the actors who have taken on the roles. I hope there is going to be a third.