Saturday, April 23, 2011

Movie: Water for Elephants



Well, if you know of my Robert Pattinson love, it wouldn't surprise you that I've managed to see my first movie since before the girls were born: Water for Elephants. As I have told Sean countless times, I enjoyed the book and was very intrigued when I found out that a film version would be made. Rob is just a nice pretty cherry on the top.

First off, you can read my review of the book here.


I had already heard good and bad things about the film adaptation before I made it to the theater. But I decided to make up my own mind.

The good:
The film sheds light on an interesting time period and setting (old-timey circuses and carnivals are so intriguing to me!). Christoph Waltz plays a bad guy with almost no heart perfectly, and helps the viewer to understand where he's coming from (even though he is still unforgivable).  Tai the elephant plays Rosie wonderfully. You can tell she is just so smart and it is sad because there is some animal abuse that is portrayed in the film and it's just terribly sad to watch. Robert Pattinson looks pretty: tan, sweaty, period clothing (no sparkles, no white makeup, no bouffant, no red lipstick, no colored contacts), and it suits him beautifully. He looked quite handsome.


The bad:
I didn't really think Reese Witherspoon was going to be a great fit for the part of Marlena, and while she acted it perfectly well, my preconceptions of her as the girl-next-door interfered with my ability to see her for the character. And she didn't have great chemistry with Pattinson. It also doesn't help that she is 10 years older than him in real life, although she doesn't look it at all.


My recommendation:
See it, but if you like to read the book before you see a movie, take the time to do that first. But then, see it. It's sad, it's romantic. There's funny. There's action-y parts. Take your husbands because he'll just be glad you aren't dragging him to Twilight!

No comments: