Friday, January 15, 2010

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan


I finally watched The Plan tonight. I wasn't feeling too interested in watching it, but now that I have, it is like ripping a scab off an old wound, and I plan to re-watch the series from the beginning.  I don't know why I used that description; it's gross.

This movie recycles a lot of scenes from earlier on in the series.  Certain actors didn't even film new footage for the film, but were still prominent in it (such as Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck), and then scenes were built around that footage.  There was also a good deal of completely new story going on, such as interactions between a Cavil and Anders while he was running the resistance cell on Caprica.  Or one of the Simons who has adapted to human life by marrying.  I was also intrigued at the back-story we got with Sharon and her attempt to kill Adama, as well as the beginnings of Leoben's obsession with Thrace.

The straight-to-DVD release of The Plan allowed for some equal-opportunity nudity, but other than that, the film was quite similar to what you would get in any given episode. Not enough Apollo for my tastes, though.  Also could have used a little more Tight.  However, we did get the always amazing line from Gaius: "No more Mr. Nice Gaius!" again.  And plenty of Anders, which was nice. 

All in all, the movie was entertaining, but not a requirement to understand the story.  It was more just an interesting filler than anything else. But enjoyable to watch.  The few times I was lost, I had to ask Sean about what happened way back in Season 1 or 2.  That's when I decided it might be time to crack the BSG DVDs again.  Let you know how that goes.

No comments: