Friday, October 17, 2008

A Baby Shower at The Office

I have read several complaints about last night's episode of The Office. That it is the worst of the season, or perhaps the series. I have to disagree. This show often deals with the hard things in life, and while they are often successful at making it funny, sometimes it just has to be kind of sad. This wasn't a painful episode for me (such as Phyllis' wedding or the dinner party, which made me cringe). Episodes like Baby Shower remind me that, while Michael is a complete idiot and total social disaster, he means well and you want something good for him. More specifically, you want Holly for him. This week he finally fought his way out from under Jan's thumb and did something he wanted for himself by asking Holly out. And it was a genuinely sweet scene with that hug. Especially after he had been so awful to her the entire episode (needlessly, it seems, as Jan had him figured out anyway). I just wish Amy Ryan was a series regular and not a special guest star. Let's cross our fingers on that one...

The Jim/Pam scenes just reiterated that they don't have the fairy tale perfect relationship. They have to work at it and have off days like the rest of us. I don't see this going in a bad direction.

The Dwight stuff was a bit OTT, but not the most annoying for Dwight. Plus, we got to learn that Dwight performed his own circumcision growing up...

2 comments:

Stella Louise said...

I liked this episode. I'm really enjoying the chemistry between Michael and Holly. Jan will add some conflict in the future, to be sure.

I loved the Dinner Party episode. It was excruciatingly funny. So very "Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?"

Esther said...

You know, I loved the British version of The Office but I've never warmed to this one. Although I may give it a try now because it sounds pretty hilarious.

Btw, I've tagged you in my blog.

http://gratuitousviolins.blogspot.com/2008/10/whos-up-for-game-of-tag.html